Spring has sprung! Finally, the Winter chill is slinking away, and we can pack away the boots, trench coats and scarves. As our surroundings begin to brighten, so do our menus: goodbye, soups and warm stews. Hello, light, zesty flavours! What better way to start off the new season than with this delicate Citrus Tart by our Pastry Sous Chef, Katy Mahomed? A poppy seed sweet pastry and silky lemon crème patisserie topped with lime pearls, orange frozen mousse and meringue…oh, yes, please!
Poppy Seed Sweet Pastry
Lemon Creme Patisserie
1. Scald milk with lemon zest on a low heat.
2. Whisk to combine egg yolks, sugar and flour.
3. Temper egg mix with milk, then return to heat and stir until the custard thickens.
4. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate to cool before use.
Orange Frozen Mousse
1. Sponge gelatin and set aside.
2. Scald half the cream with zest.
3. Whisk to combine eggs, egg yolks and sugar.
4. Temper egg mix with cream then stir in juice.
5. Melt down gelatin and add to mix.
6. Whisk remaining cream to stiff peaks, then fold into mix.
7. Pour into desired mould and set in freezer.
1. Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
2. Allow mix to cool, then syringe into very cold oil to form pearls.
3. Rinse off in cold water, gently to prevent pearls from breaking.
4. Refrigerate until ready to use.
1. Whisk together over a water bath until sugar dissolves.
2. Pour into stand mixer and whisk until stiff peaks form.
3. Pipe into desired shapes, and dry in an oven at 100’C for 40-60min. (Time is dependent on size)